By Harry M. Benshoff
- Contributors comprise the various best teachers operating within the box, in addition to intriguing more youthful scholars
- Varied and finished insurance, from the historical past of horror to broader problems with censorship, gender, and sexuality
- Covers either English-language and non-English horror movie traditions
- Key issues comprise horror movie aesthetics, theoretical methods, distribution, paintings residence cinema, ethnographic surrealism, and horror's relation to documentary movie practice
- A thorough remedy of this dynamic movie style fitted to students and fanatics alike
Read or Download A Companion to the Horror Film PDF
Best film & video art books
From mediations on particular imagery and profiles of favorite performers to discussions of nationwide nudities and the titillating thrills of latest applied sciences, cine-erotica has turn into an important and subversive type of latest movie, media, and cultural stories. increasing on contemporary paintings in gender, cultural, and audience-based stories, Peep exhibits: Cult movie and the Cine-Erotic examines the worldwide traditions of cult erotica, explaining key styles, paradigms, and performers from the area of cult celluloid sexuality.
Grindhouse filmmaker Andy Milligan has been the topic of a revealing biography, and boasts a grassroots fan base, yet his outstanding paintings has to this point got no severe serious evaluation. operating almost by myself, on infinitesimal budgets, frequently utilizing a used 16mm newsreel digital camera, Milligan crafted probably the most detailed melodramas of the Sixties and Nineteen Seventies.
Christian Metz is better recognized for using Saussurean theories of semiology to movie research. within the Seventies, he used Sigmund Freud's psychology and Jacques Lacan's reflect idea to give an explanation for the recognition of cinema. during this ultimate e-book, Metz makes use of the concept that of enunciation to articulate how motion pictures speak” and discover the place this verbal exchange happens, providing serious course for theorists who fight with the phenomena of latest media.
The Emergence of Video Processing instruments offers tales of the improvement of early video instruments and platforms designed and outfitted by means of artists and technologists in the course of the overdue Sixties and 70s. cut up over volumes, the individuals study the intersection of paintings and technological know-how and consider collaborations between inventors, designers, and artists attempting to create new instruments to catch and control photographs in innovative methods.
- Mary Pickford: Queen of the Movies
- Beauty and the Beast: Italianness in British Cinema
- Darkness in the Bliss-Out: A Reconsideration of the Films of Steven Spielberg
- The Hidden Tools of Comedy: The Serious Business of Being Funny
Extra info for A Companion to the Horror Film
A Companion to the Horror Film by Harry M. Benshoff